Friday, January 28, 2011

Mmmmargarita Chicken


I am excited to share with you my first food post!

I have been working my way through a cook book called 'Cook This, Not That'. This cook book is quite unique in that it takes high calorie meals that you can order at fast food and chain restaurants and gives you a healthy and still delicious option. I have tried their Ultimate Guacamole, Breakfast Hash with Sweet Potato and Chicken Sausage, Gnocchi with Peas and Prosciutto, Buffalo Chicken Sandwich and their amazing Oatmeal pancakes with Cinnamon Apples. I have to admit EVERYTHING I have tried so far has turned out well and has not lacked in flavor. I find that I have been adding my own tweaks to the recipes based on what I have in the house and it still turns out great.



Tonight is another example. I made Margarita Chicken and it was SO yummy. I had to wait for Andrew to get here with the cheese, so I started cooking a bit early and had to wait around before I could finish and plate the food. By that time I was starving. Even my food-critical, hard to please Fiance loved the meal, he even told me I should be a chef in a nice restaurant. I laughed at that, and told him I am simply able to follow a recipe well.



Here is the recipe:



1/2 can of black beans, drained

1/4 tsp cumin

Juice of 1 Lime

Salt & Black Pepper to taste

Cooking spray

4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts

1 cup prepared salsa, preferably salsa verde

1 cup shredded cheese (I used cheddar)

Chopped fresh cilantro



1. Sear the chicken in the pan, 3 to 4 minutes per side so that a cajun crust forms. Add salt and pepper and any seasonings.

2. Turn the heat down to medium low, pour salsa verde over the chicken and cover for 10 or so minutes.

3. In the meantime, add the beans and the cumin to a saucepan and heat on low.

4. Once the chicken is mostly cooked, uncover and add cheese. Continue to cook until cheese is completely melted. (I added tomato under the cheese just to add some extra flavor)

5. Add lime juice to beans.

6. Plate beans with chicken on top.

7. Enjoy a healthy, easy and amazing meal.


I served my chicken with some baked sweet potato fries and some home made spicy mayo. Andrew and I both loved the meal and I am excited to try out some of my new recipes on family and friends. If I had family and friends who lived in the same city as me, it might be a little bit easier.


On a lighter note, Andrew and I went to the mall after dinner last night and looked at Sears and got info on their wedding registry. That is one of the next things on our to-do list. I am excited to begin picking out home items together.


More on the wedding planning in future posts. In the meantime I hope you enjoy your weekend!


- C

No comments:

Post a Comment