Wednesday, October 10, 2012

Moving (Our New Home): Part III

We had company over to our apartment for our Small Group tonight. I purposely offered to host this week because I knew it would give me incentive to get unpacked and settled quickly instead of leaving things. I think this is the right way to go.

Last time we moved, we didn't have company for ages because it took us so long to get settled and put stuff away. Our spare room was packed from floor to ceiling until at least a month later when we finally had family coming to stay and had to find the pull out couch amid the clutter. I think knowing that you only have so much time to get something done is good, like deadlines at work. I find I get my work done way faster if I know I have a deadline to meet.

So, surprisingly enough, we had pretty much everything situated, (except for some things thrown in the spare room and the utility room), days before we have company coming. That is a good feeling. So last night I did some simple tidying and had our first official photo shoot of our new digs.

The Living Room:
View from the entryway.

Our accent wall: and the winner of the sunburst mirrors. I love the way it looks! The accent wall looks more blue in this photo, it's actually green.

The view from the hallway behind the living room. You can see the artwork we chose for above the TV and my favorite piece of furniture, the canoe bookshelf my dad and I made years ago.
Our living area is like one big room with a square storage room that separates the living from the dining area with a hallway on each side. We painted the accent walls on the separating walls.

 On the other side of the storage room is the Dining Room:
The view from the hallway. You can see our entryway door from this photo. I have plans to recover the dining room chairs to a more neutral color to match the decor.

The view from the kitchen. I love how the blue wall turned out. It looks more royal  blue in these photos, but it's actually more of an indigo color. Can you see my new owl friend? The hubs let me get one for the dining room.
Behind the dining room is a half wall that separates it from the Kitchen:  
Our humble kitchen. There is a door out to the back deck and a pantry to the left of the dishwasher.

The view from the door to the deck. We have enough room in our new kitchen to have a small table and chairs. This doubles as extra counter space too.
 
The view of the half wall that separates the Kitchen and the Dining Room

Just off the Dining Room and the Kitchen is the Master Bedroom:
The view from the door of our bedroom. Ignore the mess under the window. It's the hubs' side and he hasn't completely unpacked yet. 

View from near the TV. We painted the wall behind the bed a soft blue to lighten it up a bit and match our bedding. No artwork up (or selected yet), I hope to do this in the next month. These photos really make the room look smaller than it really is. 
We have a 'cheater' En-suite Bathroom, which means the bathroom has a door into our bedroom (for us to use) and also a door out into the hallway (for guests to use). Cheater or not, we are loving having the bathroom so close to the bedroom!
This bathroom is two and a half times bigger than the bathroom we had in our other place.

The view from the hallway door.


View from the bedroom door.
Last but not least is our lovely decks. That's right, I said deckssss, we have TWO! I didn't get any photos of the decks, but one if off of the living room and overlooks the parking area of the building and the back deck is large and has stairs going down to a green area. The back deck is off the kitchen and I find myself sitting out there a lot when the weather is nice. I can't help but admire the view!

The back deck looks out to farmers fields and a road running behind us.
 

We have a treed area behind out condo too, which is just beautiful. I have heard that you can spot deer and wild turkeys out back here.

And that, my friends, concludes the tour of our new home. I did not post photos of our spare room and our utility/laundry room as they are still, very much, a work in progress. We hope to use the spare room as a guest room and office and to have all of our storage items organized in the laundry room. That is a project for another day.

We successfully hosted our first get together in our new home and we have the Hubs' parents coming for lunch on Sunday. My parents will come to stay the weekend following. It's exciting to share this new chapter with the ones we care about. :)

C




No comments:

Post a Comment